Thursday, October 6, 2011

On the road again...

So after a week break in Mesa we finally hit the road again and set off to a little town called Superior. It was even harder to leave our friends a second time but we managed to tear ourselves away and continue on the trip. We had made it a good ways up the road and were just to the top of a big hill taking a break when this car stops by and asks us where we were headed and when we responded Superior he asked if we wanted a place to stay. Of course we did. Right after he left I realized my bike had a flat tire. Then I realized I used up all my spare tubes and didn't have a patch kit. Drover also used all his spares. Since it was a slow leak I pumped it up and had to pump it up again every mile or so. On top of this my right knee which had been hurting a little had start to hurt a lot, my energy was low and I was starting to feel sick. I finally couldn't do it anymore and told Drover to bike the last two miles into town and meet up with Charles, the guy that was letting us stay at his place, and I would walk my bike into town and just meet up later. Drover rode off and I sat down to regroup mentally for a few minutes and then got up to start walking. About a hundred yards after I started walking a man in a big truck stopped and I threw my bike in the bed of his truck and passed Drover riding. He dropped me off at a Circle K, and nothing strange was afoot, and shortly after I unloaded my bike Drover peddled up and we walked our bikes the two blocks to the place we were staying, nearly losing the flesh around our ankles to a pack of wild chihuahuas. We pulled into the house and Charles welcomed us inside. At this point my head was going fuzzy, and my stomach hurt so bad. I tried to pay attention to the conversation but ended up just escaping to the bathroom. Pretty soon Charles left leaving his guest house, currently being renovated, in our care and I took up residency on the couch hoping to find some position where I was not in pain. Charles had told us to help ourselves to the food in the cupboard so Drover started cooking while I laid on the couch. Eventually the time came and I rushed to the bathroom and ralphed all that was in my stomach. After that I took a few bites of what Drover had cooked and then laid back down, my stomach still hurting but feeling much better. Eventually I checked out the fridge and saw several cans of Sprite which of course is great for sore stomachs. Now feeling much better we explored the few DVDs laying around and were excited to find The Expendables among the collection. We popped it in and enjoyed it on Charles' HD flatscreen. It is sometimes nice to know someone is looking out for you.
So the house that we were staying in had its own story. It at one time was condemned but was being renovated by Charles and his wife, Mary. It is going to be in a house show mid October and has several parts that are finished and many that are still in progress, the primary one being the six inch gap under the front door. It does a good job keeping people out but cats have no problem getting through and we enjoyed tripping over them. Mary is an artist so the inside of the house was really cool and we each had our own room with a bed which was a real treat since I have been sleeping on a cot or the ground for the last five months. The next day we set out to find some bike tubes of which there are none for road touring bikes in Superior. We did get a hold of a patch kit along with some groceries. We figured we should make the most of our time with a kitchen. After I patched up my tires, while I was at the house my other tire went flat, it started raining and blowing and we determined our current condition was far to comfortable to venture out of and we waited the storm out and decided to head out the next day and spent the evening, cooking, eating, and enjoying the history channel.

1 comment:

Good Luck Joe said...

Haha nothing strange was afoot. Awesome blog christian I am enjoying it thoroughly. Sounds like an epic trip